Saturday, January 26, 2008

Is Your "Rightness" Getting in Your Way??



We all may be familiar with Dr. Seuss' story about the North and South going Zax, (if not, click here). I started thinking about the story and it made ask, "Can my "rightness" get in my way?" Sometimes the truth, is simply just your truth and what you perceive it to be. So what really is important are the facts. Let's take the Zax's. Their truth was that they always go North or that they always go South. The fact is that they were trying to get somewhere. They were so focused on the fact that they thought they were right, that they let that get in the way of what they really want. All they had to do is take one step to the left or the right. I mean to be real with you, they could have jumped over each other's back or crawl between one's legs and still be going North and South. I am not at all implying that you should compromise yourself or your values, but sometimes compromise is needed to achieve your initial goal. It was funny, the other day I was leaving school, and trying to get out of the parking lot. The way that I was trying to leave people often enter and exit from. Well, there were 2 cars in front of me, and I patiently waited, even though I could not see any cars coming from either direction. After a while of waiting, I decided to use another exit. What I discovered as I was leaving was that one car was trying to leave the parking lot, while the other was trying to enter and neither one was willing to move to let the other in or out. So not only were they preventing each other from going home or getting to class, they were also affecting others as a result of their "rightness." Essentially what I am saying is, don't get so caught up in who was right and who was wrong, and forget what it is that you really want. Don't get stuck in your "rightness" and let the world grow around you.

No comments: